Tattoo Removal on Dark Skin and Pigmentations
Tattoo removal on dark skin is something we get a lot of questions about. Many assume that tattoo removal on dark skin tones and darker pigmentations is not possible. Some people are concerned it doesn’t work as well or it could have adverse effects. These are legitimate concerns.
Does Tattoo Removal on Dark Skin Tones Work?
The good news is dark skin tattoo removal is common. We treat clients will all skin types. Toronto is a multicultural environment, and we help people with all skin types remove their tattoos.
In fact, research has proven that the tattoo removal process on darker skinned individuals works effectively in most cases. The success of tattoo removal is unique to each person, and there are many factors that can impact the process.
We put the following information together to put your mind at ease, and to answer your questions about tattoo removal for dark skinned individuals and what to expect with different skin types.
Are There Risks for Laser Tattoo Removal on Dark Skin?
Yes. Generally there are three things people with darker skin types should be concerned about:
- Hyperpigmentation: The darkening of skin over time
- Hypopigmentation: The lightening of skin in the area of the removed tattoo
- Keloid scars: While rare, keloids are raised scar tissue that develop around the treated area
What You Need to Know About Dark Skin Tattoo Removal
There are two main things you need to understand about how skin type affects tattoo removal:
- Skin type matters: Within the medical and aesthetics community, the colour of a person’s skin is rated on the Fitzpatrick scale – type I through VI, where 1 is extremely fair (burns easily) and 6 is extremely dark (doesn’t burn or tan). Your skin type will have an impact on the type of lasers and treatment to be used for tattoo removal.
- Not all tattoo removal lasers are the same: Lasers used for cosmetic treatments (hair removal, skin rejuvenation, tattoo removal, etc.) are not always appropriate for all skin types. People should be aware that not all clinics have lasers that are safe for all skin types, and you’ll always want to ensure that your technician is properly trained to treat you safely. Tattoo removal is especially tricky, given the aggressive nature of the lasers – they are considered a class IV laser, which is why goggles must be worn during treatment.
Is the PicoSure Laser Safe for Tattoo Removal on Dark Skin Types?
Yes. While the PicoSure laser originally was not intended for darker skin types such as V and VI on the Fitzpatrick scale, it has since been deemed safe if the appropriate settings are applied under appropriate circumstances – something professionals with lots of experience understand.
Fortunately, Precision Laser also uses the MedLite C6 for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is there is no better laser at removing ink in its class, and it’s safe on all skin types. This ensures we have options and can accommodate your skin type.
Precision Laser Offers Tattoo Removal for Dark Skin
Precision Laser is able to accommodate and safely treat all skin types. If you have questions about laser tattoo removal for dark skin types, please don’t hesitate to contact our Toronto or London office.
To learn more about your tattoo removal options, book a FREE consultation today!